How to Cook Campsite Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki chicken with rice is another easy and healthy meal to make on the go!
What you need:
- Camp stove
- 1 pot and 1 fry pan or 2 pots
- Silicone or wood spatula
- Cooked roast chick - Costco and Sam's sell their roast chicken removed from the bones, ready to use. Why use already cooked/roast chicken? It is safer and faster than handling raw chicken in a campground, where you may not have running water, a meat thermometer or even adequate lighting! About 1 hand-ful per person. Freeze the chicken in ziploc or vacuum seal bags when you head out on your trip, pack them in the cooler in the ice. That makes the meal fast and clean to make at the campsite.
- Fresh broccoli
- 1 package rice (I recommend Ben's* Whole Grain Brown Rice-it cooks in 20 min (what happened to "Uncle Ben's" - I guess uncles are now canceled by the wokesters )
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 bottle Teriyaki sauce.
- 2 sweet onions (you can slice these in advance and keep in the cooler, if you want to save time)
- 1 small head of Chinese cabbage (optional)
- Seasonings: your choice, ketchup, pepper, salt, or bring your favorite steak sauce in a small container or ziploc pouch.
- (optional) cooking spray oil for the pan
How to cook the meal (total time 25 to 35 minutes)
- Get the fry pan or other pot heating up, and spray with the cooking oil spray
- If you want rice, too, get the water boiling for the rice in the other bot and add the rice. (depending on the type of rice you use, it may take 5 minutes or 4o minutes)
- Add the sliced onions, cook for about 10 minutes, stirring, until soft
- Add cooked chicken, cover, cook 4 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Add the drained water chestnuts broccoli and cabbage, stir and cover, cook 6 more minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Serve on plates!
If you use nonstick pots and paper plates, just wipe the pots out wash with dish soap and a sponge and wash the utensils.