How to Cook Campsite Steak
Steak and beans, a typical cowboy dinner. Heck, they even serve it in Yellowstone on the trail! Sorry, vegetarians, this is a classic chuck wagon camping meal! Fry up some tofu if you like... but give me a steak on the trail!
What you need:
- Camp stove
- 1 pot and 1 fry pan or 2 pots
- Silicone or wood spoon or spatula
- 1 steak portion per person. Your choice rib eye, NY strip, or a thinly sliced cheaper cut
- 1 can (16 oz) of baked beans or chili) per 2 persons... unless they're really hungry, then 1 per person.
- Seasonings: your choice, pepper, salt, or bring your favorite steak sauce in a small container or ziploc pouch.
- (optional) cooking spray oil for the pan
How to cook the meal (total time 15 to 25 minutes)
- Get baked beans heating over very low heat in a pot on one burner.
- Get the fry pan or other pot heating up, then add the steak.
- Cook to your taste, about 6 minutes on each side for 1/2 inch thick steak, 3 minutes for thin slices.
- Srve on plates!
If you use nonstick pots and paper plates, just wipe the pots out wash with dish soap and a sponge and wash the utensils.